About Sustainable Silicon Valley (SSV):
SSV is leading Silicon Valley to a more sustainable future through collaboration with local government agencies, businesses, and community organizations to identify and address these highest-priority environmental issues. We do this by engaging prominent Valley organizations to proactively work toward self-imposed goals of reducing regional CO2 emissions and water use – and helping them translate those goals into measurable results.
POSITION: Graphic Designer
Time Commitment: 3-6 months; 10-15 hrs/week
Reports to: Marketing Director
About the position:
This is a volunteer position which enables qualified candidates to gather experience and to prove their capabilities in a non-profit organization environment in the field of sustainability. The ideal candidate should commit a minimum of 8-12 hours per week working at the SSV Santa Clara office location. It is preferred that the candidate has his/her own laptop and communications tools.
In return for the volunteer hours, the benefits to the volunteer candidate may include: job reference letter from the Executive Director of SSV, experience gained while volunteering on various projects, networking opportunities, and current resume entry. Most importantly, you will be helping the organization work towards its vision of a sustainable region, a thriving economy, a healthy environment and socially equitable community.
The graphic designer will work closely with the EcoCloud team, primarily with the web developer and marketing manager, to maintain a cohesive look to all visual elements of the EcoCloud site and related print materials in terms of font, colors, layout, and images. Additionally, the graphic designer will develop the visual elements and layout of marketing materials such as newsletters and booth displays, as needed. The graphic designer will also assist the various content leaders to ensure new pages developed in Ning are visually consistent with the EcoCloud site as a whole, as needed.
● Ensure all visual elements of EcoCloud and related print materials are consistent in fonts, colors, and layout scheme outlined in the file titled "design reference" and the "EcoCloud Newsletter" in the EcoCloud Google doc shared folders "Design" and "Marketing", respectively.
● Manage the "Design" folder in the shared EcoCloud Google Doc section and upload files as they are updated.
● Update marketing materials as requested by Program Manager or Executive Director.
Qualities and Skills:
● 1-2 years' experience in graphic design, preferably in web design and newsletters.
● Experienced in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
● Experienced in working with PC or Mac and standard office applications (e.g. MS Word, MSPowerPoint and MS Excel).
● Experienced in viewing, uploading, and organizing Google Doc files
● Aptitude for learning new computer tools and interfaces quickly.
● Dependable, motivated professional, used to take on responsibility, communicating clearly and producing agreed upon results reliably.
● Ability to collaborate in a team setting and contribute to team goals.
● Good communication skills in interaction with partners, colleagues and visitors.
● Experience with Ning
● Experience with HTML & CSS
Non Compensated Volunteer position