SSV is a nonprofit organization founded in 2000 that is leading Silicon Valley to a more sustainablefuture through collaboration with businesses, government agencies, and community organizations toidentify and address the highest-priority environmental issues. We do this by creating opportunities forcollaboration and innovation and building the capacity for leadership in sustainability and through pilotprojects for solution implementation to achieve the vision of a sustainable region, a thriving economy, a healthy environment and socially equitable community.
Position: Lead Writer
Type: Non-Compensated Volunteer Position
Part-time Telecommuting is OK
Time Commitment: 10-15 hrs/week, 3-6 months period
About the position:
Lead Writer is a non-compensated volunteer position, working under the supervision of the Marketing Director.
The candidate has to provide his/her own laptop.
In return for the volunteer hours, the benefits to the volunteer candidate may include: experience gained while volunteering on various projects, proving capabilities in a nonprofit organization environment in the field of sustainability, networking opportunities, and current resume entry, job reference letter from the Executive Director of SSV. Most importantly, you will be helping the organization work towards its vision of a sustainable region, a thriving economy, a healthy environment and socially equitable community.
Manage a group of writers and writing projects to completion.
Engage with executive team to identify content needs.
Write about sustainability, environment, development, clean technology, energy, and water materials
Copy edit articles and other content on the SSV and EcoCloud websites
Brainstorm with other team leads/departments to come up with suitable content
Attend meetings to keep abreast of events at SSV so as to generate fresh content in articles or blogs
● Write white papers and articles for the SSV and EcoCloud websites and Newsletter
● Ghost write articles for the president or board members of SSV
● Interview policy makers and environmental and industry leaders for SSV and EcoCloud websites
● Follow up on stories by content leads in the areas of Energy, Water, Materials and Transportation
● Support the Marketing and WEST Summit team with timely content as required
● Blog on EcoCloud
● Copy edit content on SSV and EcoCloud for consistent writing and style across the site
● Strong motivation to excel at SSV
● Ability to write, edit, proofread and fact check your articles
● Familiarity with the rules of grammar and style
● Internet savvy with fact checking and link checking skills
● Ability to produce results in a timely manner
● A beginner or established blogger in the field of sustainability with a volunteering spirit is welcome to join our team
● A Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Sustainability, Environmental Studies and Education will be nice to have.
● Contacts in the field of Sustainability -- in industry and education -- will be nice to have.
● A passion for sustainability and environmental issues!
Non Compensated Volunteer position