LearnVest is looking for a sharp mid-level server-side developer to join its growing technical team in New York City. We need the best of the best, someone who has never met a problem they couldn’t solve, the kind of programmer whose pride keeps her awake until she finds that perfect bit of code (or dirty little hack) to get the project back on track. We need someone that loves to write elegant code but even more than that, loves to make things WORK. We need a coder who’s still growing in the profession but already sees things through the eyes of an architect - someone who thinks about the big picture no matter the task. We need a developer that always codes with performance, scalability, and concurrency in mind. We need a hacker who reads code like a book and enjoys digging into unfamiliar source, someone who can debug another’s code as easily as they can debug their own. In short, we’re looking for you!
You’ll be working a maturing start-up where everyone still digs in like it’s day one. Here you’ll be moving at the kind of pace you love: fast. The team is still relatively small, so don’t worry about getting pigeon-holed here - you’ll be expected to wear many hats and encouraged to contribute in all phases of development and architecture. Everyone here is extremely talented and a growing expert in their field. At LearnVest you’ll never have to feel like you’re the only one giving it everything you’ve got.
LearnVest’s back-end architecture spans a variety of technology stacks, including enterprise Java, MongoDB, Node.js, Python, PHP and Hadoop. This role initially involves working on our Java-based enterprise APIs, but you will get the chance to work on any or all of these back-end technologies over your time here.
- Work on the development of the LearnVest enterprise platform and the RESTful API that makes it run.
- Collaborate with senior technical team members on design and architecture of new features, feature enhancements, and general improvements to the application.
- Participate in the overall maintenance of the application, including bug fixes, performance enhancements, and runtime production support.
- Write clean, well-documented, and unit-tested code.
- As needed, generate technical documentation for various aspects of the application.
- Work with front-end (UI) and mobile developers to integrate server-side APIs.
- 2-4 years experience coding server-side Java applications..
- Experience writing RESTful API endpoints that accept and return JSON.
- Familiarity with Redis, Node, MongoDB, and Backbone.js a plus.
- Expertise in Java libraries and frameworks, particularly Spring, JDBC, JMS, etc.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts like SQL, indexes and constraints, transactions, and object-relational mapping. Specific experience with MySQL a plus.
- Familiarity with the J2EE development environment, including Tomcat, Ant or Maven-based build processes, JUnit, and Eclipse.
- Strong understanding object-oriented programming, algorithms, data structures, and design patterns.
- Familiarity with *nix, including grep, tail, ssh, scp, netstat, etc. - Preference will be given to vi jockeys and ssh tunnelers.
- Passion for writing high-quality code.
- Self-starter, with ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High energy and a positive attitude.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
- Bachelorʼs degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience - you should be able to explain big O notation without looking on Wikipedia!
To apply please go to the following website: