EdLab is a design, development, and research unit at Teachers College Columbia University. We create educational software and resources to evaluate, discover, and advance new models of learning in and out of schools. EdLab engages in a diverse range of activities to shape the future of learning and teaching. Current activities include:
- Product development to create new educational software such as the Vialogues video discussion system (https://vialogues.com)
- Learning and knowledge analytics to examine the operations and efficacy of learning applications
- Edu-preneurship and excubation to support individuals pursuing careers in educational innovation
- Consulting engagements to support educational content developers such as Jazz at Lincoln Center, The Rock & Roll Forever Foundation, and Pearson Education
- Strategic partnerships with organizations such as HBO, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Pete Peterson Foundation, and Young Arts to create new learning opportunities
- Online publishing to pioneer new strategies of distributing educational resources through publications such as the web-based Teachers College Record and the mobile phone-based New Learning Times
Do you want to work with highly committed individuals who value hard work, collaboration, adaptability, accountability, and collective achievement? Are you a self-starter with a can-do attitude who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment? Are you interested in growing in ways beyond your job description (current and former staff have started their own companies, joined startups, or gone on to work at places like Google, Apple, Oracle, Bloomberg, Microsoft)?
EdLab is seeking enthusiastic Software Engineers who are familiar with all stages of the agile development process (e.g., requirements analysis, rapid prototyping, testing, iteration, release cycles). You will work alongside a team of hard-driving developers, educators, designers, video producers, researchers, and product managers to define and implement solutions that can improve the education sector. We have ambitious goals and high expectations because we believe that our work is truly transformative.
Design and code learning applications using cutting-edge technologies that scale to millions of users
Bring educational and technology expertise, experience, and skills to participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle (e.g., design, coding, specification, unit testing, code reviews, quality assurance)
Work with a team of product managers, designers, and educators to develop systems at a high-level and implement new educational software applications.
Collaborate with senior technologists and researchers to develop applications that enable communication with internally-developed and authorized third party software.
Minimum of 2 years hands-on software engineering experience
Experience with any of the following areas preferred: natural language processing, game development, large scale systems development, machine learning and artificial intelligence, data mining and retrieval
Demonstrated problem solving skills on large and small scale issues with ability to undertake and complete large software projects with little supervision.
Documented history of meeting deadlines and delivering high quality products to clients.
Effective communicator with experience collaborating with product managers, designers, researchers, and educators.
Ability to research and learn new technologies quickly and constantly.
Experience with open source software and at least TWO of the following:
Object oriented programming (Java, C++, etc)
Scripting Languages (PHP, PYTHON, etc)
Database systems (MySQL, SQL Server, etc)
Mobile Applications development (iOS SDK, Java)
The successful candidate must also bring a demonstrated commitment to education.
Relocation expenses provided.
H1-B sponsorship if required.
BS or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent experience