Cog Tree Summer Position
Cog Tree is looking for a motivated software engineer to work on our cutting-edge news analytics software over the summer.
Cog Tree is an early-stage, NYC-based technology company, founded in 2008. The company was fortunate enough to be chosen from several hundreds of applicants to be one of the 10 businesses funded by DreamIt Ventures, a startup incubator program in Philadelphia. Joining our company for the summer gives you access to this exclusive program.
Why work at Cog Tree?
At Cog Tree, we value...
action over experience;
innovation over tradition;
results over potential;
simplicity over intricacy; and
openness over restraint.
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left more.
"Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves."
- Alan Kay
Maybe you've felt this way working for a big company. We know the feeling: gray offices, pointy-haired bosses, unforgivable compromises, and a company mission you can't quite get behind or even understand. You don ºt need thousands of employees to build useful software. At Cog Tree, we substitute the brute force approach taken elsewhere with open source technologies, the latest research, and the ingenuity of our team.
"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure."
- E.W. Dijkstra
We believe great software engineers want to write great software. The quality of our software is our company's greatest asset, so why compromise?
"Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road."
- Stewart Brand
The software world is changing. Our company is about creating innovative products and putting them in the hands of our users, plain and simple.
About the project
Our product allows PR personnel, political consultants, and other professionals to understand news coverage using quantitative techniques. We index news articles, apply natural language processing to parse them for deeper understanding, and then assign scores for things like sentiment, frequency, and co-occurrence. We call these "News Metrics": a way to quantitatively measure a company or person's performance in the news. With our tool, users will spend less time reading the news, and more time reacting to it.
About the DreamIt program
The DreamIt program is an enormous opportunity to learn more about technology startups and network with other technologists and entrepreneurs.
The benefits of the program include:
* Regular presentations from entrepreneurs, technologists, and investors. Advice and counsel from the partners of DreamIt Ventures.
* Access to a collaborative workspace at the Philadelphia Science Center, where you can network and work side-by-side with the other startup founders.
* Membership in a tight-knit community of exceptionally motivated technologists and entrepreneurs.
* Opportunity to present your work to over 180 investors and entrepreneurs at the end of the summer for DreamIt's "Demo Day".
* At least one dynamic language, e.g. Python, Ruby, Perl.
* At least one mainstream programming language, e.g. C++, Java.
* Experience in UNIX environment, working with open source technologies.
* Interest in NLP, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Data Visualization.
* Experience with web crawling, indexing, and scraping technologies.
* Passion for product design.
[Check out: http://bit.ly/applyCT for a prettier version of this job description]
Bachelors or beyond in C.S. is desirable, but we are open to other candidates that have relevant experience that proves their skill.