Sustainable Silicon Valley (SSV) is a dynamic collaboration of 120+ businesses, governments, academic and non-governmental organizations (Partners), and scores of volunteers addressing environmental sustainability in Silicon Valley. We envision a healthy environment, a vibrant economy, and a socially equitable community. SSV was designed to move beyond the traditional command-and-control model of environmental regulation to one of collaboration and partnership. By focusing on the desired outcome, rather than compliance-driven standards, participants can choose the methods to reach that outcome that make the most sense financially and technologically for each of them. We operate at the intersection of policy and action.
Position: Sustainability Partner Engagement Director
Type: Unpaid Volunteer Position
Time Commitment: 10-15 hrs/week in the SSV Santa Clara office location, part-telecommuting OK
Reports to: Executive Director and Business Development Director
SSV’s Partner Engagement group is tasked with building the capacity and effectiveness of corporate and government sustainability leaders by sharing best practices and presenting expert knowledge about sustainability. The two main vehicles for achieving this goal are SSV’s events such as the annual WEST summit and the Sustainability Leaders Forum (SLF) events , which provide a platform to share experiences, identify common challenges and solutions and build expertise, and SSV’s EcoCloud, a virtual collaborative space where sustainability related content, discussions, solutions and tools can be accessed.
· To ensure that the SLF event topics are on-target, the Partner Engagement Director will need to conduct regular outreach (phone and in-person) to SSV members to find out what topics they are interested in, what issues they are working on, what challenges they are grappling with, what their information gaps are, etc. The Partner Engagement Director will provide this input to the Research & Implementation Project Manager and the Research & Implementation Director and work with them to ensure that a robust events program can be designed.
· The Partner Engagement Director should attend some if not all the SSV events with the objective of continuously improving SSV events and understanding the needs of SSV members.
· The Partner Engagement Director will work with the EcoCloud Director to devise ways to engage SSV members and other members of the broader sustainability community in the EcoCloud space. For example, the Partner Engagement Director will actively conduct and facilitate discussions, webinars and blogging for and among SSV and the wider sustainability community members.
· The Partner Engagement Director will work closely with the Research Leads in the group to ensure that the content generated by them is effectively dispersed via EcoCloud, SLF events, SSV Newsletter, and the regular member outreach. The Partner Engagement Di
· Ideal candidate will be a post-graduate (or higher) student or a graduate student with some related job experience.
· Candidate should have the skills manage processes.
· Candidate should have the skills to facilitate and increase engagement among the SSV community. Experience or knowledge of Gamification as a tool for increasing engagement is an advantage.
· Although experience and knowledge of sustainability is not required, it is preferred.
· Initiative and reliability, used to taking on responsibility and producing consistent results in a timely manner
· Dependable, communicates clearly and collaborates in a team setting toward shared goals
· Strong motivation to excel at SSV
· Ability to communicate effectively via phone and in meetings
· Experience in working with PC or Mac
· Experience in internet browsing and search
· Knowledge of various websites and social networking platforms such as Linked-in and Facebook
· Proficient in PC or Mac OS and standard office applications (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
· Experience in Google Docs is preferred