Startup Jobs Startup Companies Post a Job! Startup Newswire Job Widgets
Search Startup Jobs
FundingShhhh...
Employees8
SalaryShhhh...
FulltimeYes
TelecommuteYes
IndustryShhhh...
View full company profile
Other Openings

Telecommuting AWS EC2 system administrators / DevOp for work on 2 nonprofit websites

at Daily Source Limited in Shhhh...   —   Apr 19, 2014   |  
Overview
If you email us, it’s important to provide the information listed in the “Information we need” section below. Please only apply if you’re an individual, or if, for example, you’re the co-owner of a small company and you will be the only one working for us. Besides that, no companies or agencies, please. If you have applied with us in the past, you are very welcome to apply for this. We are a small nonprofit organization and we were not able to reply to all of the applicants for our past openings. We are happy to consider you for this position.

We are looking for a regular part-time system administrator for 1 hour a week. We moved from Slicehost to Amazon AWS / EC2. And we could also use another system admin that can review our set-up to see if it’s good or could be improved, and then be among the people we call if we have a system admin problem or need some advice.

We especially need someone who knows EC2’s auto-scaling and ELB load-balancing. Or who has existing auto scripts (or can quickly do them) to bring up and take down EC2 instances based on traffic needs.

We have about 90 percent of it figured out, and we need help with the remaining 10 percent.

EXISTING SITE

Our first website is below, and most of the initial time would be on this:

http://DailySource.org

The site’s mission is to bring high-quality news and information from around the Internet to the public in order to help them and the world. You can read more about it here:

http://DailySource.org/about/site
http://DailySource.org/about/benefits

NEW SITE

We are also starting a new site whose focus is on helping the people in the world in the greatest need, especially the 2 billion extremely poor in Africa, Asia and Latin America who are trying to live on less than $2 a day:

http://LeastOf.org/about/intro
http://LeastOf.org/
http://LeastOf.org/about/samplepages

Check out the innovative World Wealth Calculator, http://www.worldwealthcalculator.org/, that the top economist at the World Bank volunteered to help us create.

These are other pre-beta sites in the works:

http://MapsForThePoor.org
http://WaterPledge.org
http://GiveItUpForThePoor.org

We are very excited about LeastOf.org and have received an extremely positive response to it so far. While we are on a somewhat small budget at the moment, we expect the site to eventually have tens of thousands of users and believe it will be a feather in the cap of whoever works on it. It will be a great portfolio builder and excellent basis for references. We are looking to make a big impact on the world with this project.

We developed DailySource using Ruby on Rails, MySQL, and a good amount of AJAX — and we might do the same with LeastOf.org. We are also considering using Django as the framework for LeastOf.org.

We are forward thinking and passionate about making the world a better place — particularly for those most in need.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Rachel Wright
Tech Manager
Compensation
INFORMATION WE NEED

If you think you might be interested in these, please email the following to: systemadmin (at) dailysource (dot) org:

* Your resume (or the equivalent information such as work experience and skills, or LinkedIn profile). In particular, let us know your skill level in EC2 overall, in ELB and in AWS’ auto-scaling; and the number of sites you’ve worked on using those.

* How much you would charge per hour to work on this. Again, we are a nonprofit and do not have a large budget. In the past we’ve paid $10-$20, but we can possibly go as high as $25 or $30 depending on if the candidate is highly qualified and has the experience and skills we’re seeking.

* If you are also a Web developer who knows Ruby on Rails, let us know and we will consider having you do some development work as well.

* If English is not your native tongue, please let us know the levels of your written and verbal English.

* Where you found the job ad, and please include the title of the ad too.

Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we’ve found the right new team members to join us.
Want this Job? Apply Now
About Us  |  Privacy Policy   |   Terms & Conditions  |  Contact Us
© 2014 Job Alchemist, Inc. All rights reserved.

Feedback

Startuply is in beta. Love it? Hate it? Want to suggest new features or report a bug? We'd love to hear from you.
    
Feedback