We are looking for a VP/Director of Engineering to join the Manicube team! This is a full-time role requiring 40+ hours per week. This is an incredible opportunity to lead a team to develop a broad set of technology applications for a funded, fast-growing start-up that is revolutionizing the beauty service industry.
Manicube will become the leading national mobile salon services provider by disrupting the unsophisticated, antiquated salon industry. We are building the largest online marketplace for beauty services targeted at working women. Today, Manicube offers the convenience of quick manicures to busy, professional women at their place of work. Our licensed manicurists visit our clients’ offices weekly to offer 15-minute manicures to employees. All appointments and payments are booked via our website, manicube.com (version 2 launching in December 2013). We currently serve 50+ clients across a variety of industries and company sizes in both the New York and Boston markets. Beyond expanding into additional geographies with our B2B business, we plan to launch on-demand, direct to consumer services via a smartphone app in the near term.
The company was started in July 2013 by 2 Harvard Business School graduates and has a great business model with high growth prospects. Manicube prides itself for making working women’s lives easier by chipping away at one of the many chores she’s trying to balance with commitments to career, family, and herself. We believe that a small, convenient lifestyle change—saving her an hour a week-- can add up and make an impact. We are looking for a VP/Director of Engineering that is passionate about this mission.
The ideal candidate has worked as a programmer and product manager and has experience building and launching software from server setup through backend code and frontend CSS/HTML. S/he should be a true self-starter excited to help shape and build a new services company. She/he should enjoy a fast paced environment and be comfortable in a culture that rewards results and a respectful and proactive attitude.
Our Head of Engineering will work with to manage and build all the necessary technology systems to support the back and front end of the business (occasionally with outsourced development talent). S/he will help guide the trajectory of a fast-growing tech-enabled company with high potential in services and product sales. Our soon-to-launch tech platform is built on Magento and consists of the following parts:
1. Our front-end consumer facing website
2. Our corporate backend used to set up visit appointments and manage nail technician availability
3. Our self-serve HR portal where HR managers (our clients) can manage basic logistics
4. Our NT portal for smartphone, which is used to offer jobs to nail technicians. Service providers use the portal to accept and/or decline jobs, view job details, update availabilities, etc.
Our Head of Engineering will lead the technology team as it grows and will be ultimately responsible for:
1. Managing and adding functionality to our current booking and payment system for our clients and end customers (www.manicube.com). Additional front-end functionality builds include:
a. Optimized scheduling tool (yield management) that dynamically adjusts appointment times for different service intervals and corrals customers to fill out appointments to increase utilization
b. Addition of e-commerce capabilities
c. A smartphone app linked to our booking and payment system for easy changes/cancellations
d. Additional bells and whistles: loyalty program, wish list functionality, recurring appointments and gifting
2. Building (or managing the build of) a consumer-facing app for direct to consumer operations
3. Maintaining and improving our consumer-facing iPad content systems
4. Creating basic reporting systems for business analytics
5. Building and integrating an inventory replenishment and logistics system
excellent communication skills
familiarity with Magento
basic experience with linux servers
authorized to work in the United States (we do not sponsor Visas)
To be determined based on experience level.